A local environmental plan (LEP) is a legislative document that includes standards and matters for consideration for different types of residential, commercial, industrial and rural development. The LEP identifies where different types of development are permitted through its Land Use Tables and zoning maps. LEPs are also used to reserve land for open space or other public purposes, protecting heritage values and areas of environmental significance, and developing and conserving natural resources.
A Development Control Plan (DCP) provides guidance to developers for different types of development, including subdivisions and buildings, and related matters such as parking, landscaping and signage.
For the former Armidale Dumaresq Council Local Government Area
For the former Guyra Shire Council Local Government Area
For the current Armidale Regional Council Local Government Area
- The above referenced LEP and DCP documents remain in effect.
- The NSW Government requires that merged councils (such as Armidale Regional Council) need to:
- harmonise comprehensive local environmental plans, noting that an existing comprehensive LEP can be expanded to become the principal instrument for the area; and
- (in the longer term) prepare an amalgamated development control plan that brings together the different DCPs from the individual councils.
- Council is advancing a project to harmonise / merge the existing Armidale Dumaresq LEP and the existing Guyra LEP.
- Council has prepared a Planning Proposal (PP-2021-4173) seeking to create a consolidated local environmental plan for the Armidale Regional Council Local Government Area.
- The Public Exhibition period for the Planning Proposal runs from Monday 18 October until Monday 15 November 2021.
- A copy of the Planning Proposal is available for review at: yoursay.armidale.nsw.gov.au.
In addition to the provisions in the LEPs and DCPs, various State Environmental Planning Policies
also contain development standards and matters for consideration, such as exempt and complying development, rural lands, BASIX, koala habitat protection, signage and other planning related issues.