Wandering Livestock

Straying stock can be a problem in rural areas, especially if the residents are absent from the property for a period of time.

Council Rangers can help if stock is on a road by putting the stock back and issuing a fencing order if a problem exists with fencing.

However, if cattle or other livestock are going from property to property, it is a private matter between neighbours and even if the livestock are damaging property, it is a civil matter and Council has no powers to get involved.

Under the Rural Lands Protection Act, stock is considered to be ‘abandoned’ if they are left unattended on a public road or public land. Abandoned or trespassing animals may be impounded by a Rural Lands Protection Board officer or Council Ranger and there is a fee to have them released. A fine also may be imposed.

If the owner of the stock cannot be found, you may contact Council by lodging an online customer request, or phone us on 1300 136 833 and Council will help with this process.

Landholders have a responsibility under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 to feed and care for any animals which are impounded on their land. You can recover any costs associated with the care of straying stock from the owner.

Local Land Services shares responsibilities for stock health with the NSW Department of Primary Industries. If you see any stock that appears to be in ill health, contact Local Land Services.

For individual animal problems and other farm animals contact a local vet.