Dumaresq dam was built between 1896 and 1898 and was Armidale’s water supply until the 1968, when Malpas Dam was completed. It is now set aside as a recreation reserve. A 2.5 km walking track passes through eucalypt woodland on its way around the dam. Both the woodland and the dam offer excellent opportunities for bird watching, and for anglers, the dam is stocked with trout, and occasionally bass. There is a boat ramp for canoes and kayaks, but petrol boats are not allowed. Picnicking and viewing facilities are available but there is strictly no camping.
Malpas Dam is located to the south east of Guyra and to the north of Armidale. It was built as the major water supply for the city of Armidale. Its construction was completed in 1968 and currently has a storage capacity of 13,000 megalitres with expansion capabilities to 26,000megalitres.
It is the home of the New England Sailing Club and many competition meetings (as well as the local meetings) are held on the dam throughout the year. Picnicking and viewing facilities are available but there is strictly no camping.