Home Renovations

Have you decided to build a new deck? Thinking about knocking down that old wall? There are a number of things you should consider before you start any renovations work.

Do you need Development approval?

Before erecting a building, or making any changes to a building or other premises such as a garage or shed, you may need to submit a development application (DA).

Visit our Development Application section for information on what development needs a DA and what doesn't.

If you need further help please contact Council on 1300 136 833.


By law, if you engage a licensed contractor to carry out residential building work, you must enter into a written contract:

  • If the contract price is over $5,000 (including GST), or
  • if the contract price is not known, is for the provision of labour and materials by the contractor the reasonable market cost of which is more than $5,000 (including GST).

For more information visit the Department of Fair Trading.

Have you thought about asbestos?

Buildings, houses and flats erected before the mid 1980s may contain asbestos. Examples of where asbestos can be commonly found in buildings include

  • fibro sheeting (commonly found in older garages, bathrooms, kitchens, laundries and external walls)

  • roofs (including eaves and gables)

  • vinyl tiles and backing

  • guttering and

  • drainage and flue pipes

Find out about what you need to do to safely remove and dispose of asbestos.

Look out for lead paint

Lead paint is most likely to be found in houses built before 1970. Health risks increase if the paint is flaking or chalking and the risk is particularly high if the lead paint is removed by sanding, sandblasting or burning.
Find out about the health impacts of lead paint and what you should do to safely remove it.