Sheds, Carports & Studios

Do I Need Approval?

For larger projects you will require Council approval prior to starting any work; however, some smaller projects do not require Council approval. 

Low impact development, such as fences, barbeques, driveways and sheds, are often classified as Exempt Development and do not require any further approvals.

Complying development is a fast-track approval process for straightforward development proposals such as home renovations and additions or a new home up to two storeys. Providing the proposal meets specific criteria then it can be determined by Council without needing a full development application.

To find out if your project is Exempt Development or Complying Development contact Council on 1300 136 833.

Note: approvals may be required for works within the Heritage Conservation Zone or on a listed heritage Item.

See Council Forms for the required development application forms