Food & Drink Business

Food Safety Supervisor requirements

Food laws in NSW require certain food businesses in the hospitality and retail food service sector to appoint at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor (FSS).

These requirements are to help safeguard NSW consumers from foodborne illness. Impacted business will need to appoint an FSS and notify the relevent enforcement agency (usually Council). The FSS must be trained by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) approved by the NSW Food Authority. To find your closest RTO click here.

Notification of food business

All food businesses trading within the Local Government Area must register with Armidale Regional Council and provide their business details (ABN / Sole trader information). This is a requirement under the Food Act 2003 and this information is used to create a License Register of all food premises in the area. Penalties apply under the Food Act 2003 for failing to Notify Council of conducting a food business. Please see the Licensed Premises form on Council's forms page

Food safety training

Want to conduct food safety training?

Click here for a free Interactive Food Safety Training course.

The course is recommended for anyone working in the food service industry. Complete the training at your own pace and receive a Certificate of Completion at the end.

Helpful Documents:

NSW Food Authority Guideline to Food Safety Supervisor Requirements (PDF 384.5KB) 

Guidelines for Food Business at temporary events (PDF 531.4KB)

Food Safety Factsheets:

Guidance on the 4-hour / 2-hour Rule (PDF 1.2MB)

Cleaning and Sanitising (PDF 297.8KB)

Food Handling Guide (Temporary Events) (PDF 531.4KB)

Hand Washing (PDF 198.8KB)

Health and Hygiene (PDF 201.4KB)

Pest Control (PDF 200.7KB)

Protecting Food from Contamination (PDF 197.5KB)

Helpful Links:

Frequently Asked Questions on Food Regulations

NSW Food Authority

Keeping Food Safe