The Armidale region is in the midst of an investment boom with at least $400 million being spent over the next few years in key economic growth areas.
Education, renewables, health, agriculture, water security, tourism and infrastructure are experiencing significant growth through large scale public and privately funded projects.
The NSW Government’s New England North West Regional Plan 2036 outlines a 20-year blue-print for the region that includes a number of regional focused goals that align with Council’s own Economic Development Strategy 2017-2025. These include:
• A strong and dynamic regional economy
• A healthy environment with pristine waterways
• Strong infrastructure and transport networks for a connected future
• Attractive and thriving communities
Armidale Regional Councillor and Chair of the Regional Growth Advisory Committee Peter Bailey said Council is working closely with both the Federal and State Member to maintain momentum and drive investment in the Armidale Region.
“This is not only an Investment boom but also true employment growth for the Armidale region as many of the projects are or will create new employment for the region,” said Cr Bailey.
“Over the next few years there will be estimated employment of around 660 jobs during the construction phase, and about 180 new full time positions resulting from these investments.”
Cr Bailey commented further that he “could not recall another time where we have experienced this much public and private investment in our region. It is an exciting time of growth that will shape the Armidale region as a destination well and truly open for business”.
Mr Bailey noted a number of significant projects underway or recently completed. These include:
• The Solar farm at Bailey Park
• Armidale Secondary College
• Armidale Hospital expansion
• Costa Tomatoes 3rd stage expansion in Guyra
• Tatts Hotel upgrade
• UNE Agriculture & Education Building
• Malpas Dam to Guyra Pipeline
• Relocation of the Australian Pesticides & Veterinary Medicines Authority to Armidale
• Armidale Airport Business Park
• TAFE Digital
• Armidale Ex-Services Club Motel
• New roundabout at the airport to allow for the expansion of the airport and business park
• Saumarez Homestead expansion
• Unibuild expansion
Published on 13 Mar 2019