At its ordinary meeting of 22 March, Armidale Regional Council approved funding of $20,461.20 under the 2016/17 Community Assistance Small Grants. The funding will support 22 local not-for-profit organisations from across the local government area.
The Community Small Grants Program offers funding up to $1000. It was established to provide support for local programs or initiatives which are considered beneficial to the community and address community needs. It encourages and supports the development of special initiatives and programs which demonstrate community cooperation between a number of local groups and organisations.
Council Administrator Dr Ian Tiley said that 24 applications had been submitted to the small grants program in this round.
“Each of the applications submitted described a valuable community project in need of support. It is very exciting to see the depth of important activity work being undertaken in and on behalf of our community by local organisations,” said Dr Tiley. “Unfortunately not all applications fulfilled the eligibility criteria to receive funding and were unable to be supported in this round.”
The following organisations will receive funding:
- African Association of New England - $1000 towards a welcome lunch for new African refugees, students and information about support services.
- Armidale and District Amateur Radio Club - $1000 for new repeater replacement for training with scouts and emergency applications
- Armidale and New England Descendants - $1000 for healthy lifestyle program for local Aboriginal community members.
- Armidale Community Preschool - $$976.20 for sun safe protection (UV protective laserlite)
- Armidale Eisteddfod Society - $1000 for funding toward 2017 33rd Armidale Eisteddfod
- Armidale Hospital and Community Health Staff Social Club - $1000 for funding toward costs of hospital fundraising pantomime.
- Armidale Men’s Shed - $1000 for ‘on your bike’ exhibition to encourage healthy active lifestyle for men.
- Armidale Tree Group - $1000 for equipment to maintain Mike O’Keeffe Woodland for community use and recreation.
- Australian Garden History Society, Armidale Sub-Branch - $1000 for Oral History workshop to record interviews of heritage gardens for Heritage Centre.
- Bald Blair Public School P&C Association - $1000 for catering equipment for school and community events.
- Children’s Book Council of Australia, New England & North West Sub-Branch - $950 towards support for the Booked in! Children’s Literature Festival 2017
- Dog Sports New England - $1000 for dog training equipment to support responsible dog ownership.
- Friends of the Old Teacher’s College Inc - $1000 for reprinting of lost heritage College Year photographs.
- Guyra Veterans Golfers - $1000 to replace storm damaged trees.
- Harmony Group Armidale Inc - $1000 towards Harmony Day multicultural event 2017
- High Country Theatre - $500 for Community performance event Hannah’s Arcarde
- Nepalese Community Armidale - $1000 for cultural exchange promoting social harmony
- New England Art Society - $1000 for signage and promotion material to raise community and business support for the Armidale Art Gallery
- Northwest Church - $1000 for equipment for Guyra food pantry program.
- Quota Club of Armidale - $100 to print and frame for Inspirational Women exhibition
- Rotary Club of Armidale - $1000 for Care Packs for homeless women
- St James Guyra Anglican Church - $1000 to improve access for people with disability to Parish community hall
Published on 23 Mar 2017