Plumbing Application Process

Plumbing Application Process

Anyone planning to perform plumbing or drainage work must comply with the current legislative requirements and regulations. This includes new installations, changing, extending, disconnecting, or maintaining domestic or commercial plumbing and drainage.

Water meter connection

A water meter is a device that records the amount of water being used on your property. The meter known as the "primary" meter is situated at the property boundary. If you don't have water supply to your property and want to connect to Council's system, the first step is to apply to Council for permission to establish a water connection and water meter. 

When should I apply for a water service?

You should apply for a Water Service prior to any construction works commencing on the site.

Prior to commencement of work, it is necessary for the licensed plumber to obtain a permit from our Council's Planning and Environment  - Plumbing Section. There will be a fee for the issue of this permit.

Where do I lodge my application to connect a water service to my property?

Applications can be lodged with the relevant fees at your nearest Customer Service Centre at 135 Rusden Street, Armidale or 158 Bradley Street, Guyra. Customer Service can be contacted on 1300 136 833.

Water and Sewer Plumbing Permit Form 2017-2018 (PDF 433.3KB)

How long does it take for the connection to be carried out?

It is requested that you allow a minimum of ten working days for the installation to be completed by us following the lodgement and payment of the application.

Dial Before You Dig


Council does not operate the Dial Before You Dig service. Dial Before You Dig is a free national community service designed to prevent damage and disruption to the vast pipe and cable networks which provides Australia with the essential services we use everyday – electricity, gas, communications and water.

Dial Before You Dig

On-site Sewage Management

If your home is not connected to the sewer, you may have an on-site sewage management system, such as a septic tank, composting toilet or aerated system.

There are special regulations that apply to these systems. As the owner of the property, it is your responsibility to ensure that the system is approved by your council and that it is working properly. On-site systems can be a risk to the health of your family and other community members if they are not properly maintained. They can also cause harm to the environment.

To ensure that your system meets the requirements, you need to obtain two approvals from council.

The first approval is to install the system.  
This applies to new homes or alterations to existing systems.

The second approval is to operate the system.  
As a new owner of land with an existing on-site sewerage management system (or systems), you need to have the Approval to Operate transferred to you.Council will carry out regular inspections to make sure the system is working properly - these inspections carry a fee for this service.

Further information about On-Site Sewage management can be found on the NSW Government website here.


Application for Transfer Approval to Operate for Onsite Sewage Management System 2017-2018  (PDF 473.5KB)

Request for On-Site Sewage Management System Inspection Form 2017-2018  (PDF 231.8KB)