DA process

Development Approval Process

A wide range of activities are classified as development – from a new house to land subdivision to changing the use of a building.  Development does not necessarily involve construction work.

1. Do I Need Approval?
For larger projects you will require Council approval prior to starting any work; however, some smaller projects do not require Council approval.  Work that does not require Council approval, or development consent, is called ‘Exempt Development’. If your proposal meets all of the development standards then you can begin work immediately. If you cannot meet all the development standards then you will need approval.  There are two approvals processes you may apply for – either a Complying Development Certificate (PDF 557.9KB) or a Development Application. (PDF 511.9KB)

To find out whether your project is Exempt Development or Complying Development contact Council on 1300 136 833