Project update August 2023
Stage 1 of the works is nearing completion. This includes the following scope:
• New amenities block and picnic shelters installed
• Roads and parking areas formed in readiness for sealing
• Long bay parking and the upgraded boat ramp installed
• Camp site and unpowered motorhome parking areas installed
• Artificial beach and sandstone wall installed
• Additional boardwalk installed
In line with Armidale Regional Council’s improvement performance focus, we are happy to announce that the stage 1 works has been completed within budget. This is thanks to the tireless work of Council staff, Public Works Advisory and Construction contractors JNC Group Indigenous Contractors Pty Ltd. Rather than returning the saved grant funding back to the NSW Government, Council has increased its scope of works to include the following stage 2 scope of works for the benefit of our community:
• Construction of jetty
• All new nature playground
• Landscaping (moved to avoid frosts) – Approximately 1608 plants
• Installation of interpretive signage along the popular walking track
• Security upgrades
Stage 2 works will take between 12-14 weeks to complete (weather depending) with a completion of works scheduled for mid December 2023. In this time the Dumaresq Dam will be closed to the general public apart from the Duval Dam Busters Event, which is scheduled for Sunday 24 September 2023. On this day the venue will be open with appropriate exclusion zones in place for the safety of all to participants.
The inclusion of a flagship nature playground has been an element that will provide hours of entertainment for our younger demographic. Plans for the nature playground can be found below.
The recreation area at Dumaresq Dam will receive a significant upgrade thanks to co-funded by the Australian and NSW Government's Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund.
Local contractor JNC Group Indigenous Contractors Pty Ltd has secured the contract for the $3.9 million upgrade with work expected to commence in February 2023.
The reserve will be closed to the public from Monday 30 January 2023 until November 2023.
• New contemporary amenities block
• Picnic shelters and BBQ facilities
• Bitumen internal roads and parking areas
• Parking including long bay parking near the upgraded boat ramp
• Camp site area/unpowered motorhome parking area X3
• Landscaping and new pathways
• New low beach wall along the dam foreshore
• New jetty for easier access to recreational fishing and swimming
• Interpretive signage along the popular walking track
• Bird hide and additional boardwalks
Dumaresq Dam Reserve Redevelopment Project - Detailed designs (PDF 15.1MB)