The New England Festival - previously known as the Armidale Autumn Festival since its launch 27 years ago- has undergone a name change to better embrace the whole region.
The beauty of autumn and amazing colours of our region will be further celebrated with a new event, the Colour New England Street Arts Festival on Saturday 6 April. Council is supporting this community driven initiative to give our local artists centre stage - the visual artists, musicians, theatrical performers and artisans.
New England Festival - March 16
This year's theme - International Heritage of New England
Float - Grand Parade
A community favourite street parade where local businesses, organisations and schools decorate floats in the chosen theme. The theme for 2019 is 'International Heritage of New England'.
Float application form (PDF 322.5KB)
Band application form (PDF 290.6KB)
New route of the Grand Parade
Friday 15 March
- From 5.30pm - Amusement and children's rides (Curtis Park)
- 9pm - Fireworks - Best viewing from Curtis Park and Civic Park
Saturday 16 March
- 7am - Breakfast with the Armidale City Band (Civic Park)
- 8am - Campus to City Canter starting at SportUNE
- 11am - Massed pipe bands in the Mall
- 12.30pm - Grand parade. There's a new route this year so look out for the best spots!
- 2pm - 4pm - Quintet Competition at the Mall Stage.
- 4pm - Massed pipe bands and Burns Highland Dancers in the Mall
- 4pm - 6pm - Food vendors.
- 6.30pm - 7pm - Pipe Bands mini concert
- 6.30pm - Australian Army Band Concert at Armidale Servies Club - fundraiser for Drought relief. Tickets available at Armidale Servies Club or online. Book early to avoid disappointment.
- Amusement and children's rides
- Live and local music on the Mall stage throughout
- Quilting and Needlework Exhibition (16 - 17 March)
- Gem show (16 - 17 March)
- Northern Inland Football Gala weekend (16 - 17) March
- Rugby Knockout Carnival (16 March)
The Farmers Market on Sunday 17 March will be held in Civic Park due to the carnival rides.
Fire & Rescue NSW Regional Firefighter Championship
The 1st Fire and Rescue NSW Regional Firefighter Championship of 2019 is being held in Armidale on the weekend of the 16 and 17 March at Jack Valance Oval - 191 Dumaresq Street. The Championships showcase the skills and expertise a modern firefighter uses every day, be it attacking a fire or responding to a major emergency. See firsthand just how firefighters respond to emergencies and pick up vital fire safety tips to help prepare and prevent fires and emergencies before they happen.
All times will be advertised in the program available on the website or from the Council’s customer service team and the Visitor Information Centre
New England Festival Gala Night
A Gala night to remember! Three key ingredients for a great night; food, fashion and music will come together at the Armidale Servies Club on 5 April.
The organisers are determined to put on a great night to celebrate autumn in New England High Country with a catwalk fashion parade followed by dancing to a highly regarded local band.
With our heritage in the production of wool and particularly renowned as a centre for the production of super fine wool, it is fitting that the Fleece to Fashion Parade will see a whole manner of garments fashioned in wool and paraded on the catwalk. The talent of the young designers has to be seen and with a show selected from the best garments from recent years Fleece to Fashion Awards it will broaden your ideas of the versatility of what comes off the backs of sheep.
Following the fashion parade the Max Schultz band, Shake Rattle ‘n’ Roll will play favourites from the 50’s through to the 80’s. Tickets can be purchased from Armidale Servies Club.
Purchase tickets here.
Published on 30 Jan 2017