Tingha Plateau Fire Recovery

Tingha Ladies Health Day  (PDF 371.9KB)

Community recovery meeting - Health & Wellbeing  (PDF 148.2KB)

Community Recovery Newsletter 5  (PDF 210.2KB)

Community Recovery Newsletter 4  (PDF 192.7KB)

Community Recovery Newsletter 3  (PDF 137.5KB)

Community Recovery Newsletter 2  (PDF 109.6KB)

Community Recovery Newsletter 1 (PDF 96.5KB)


Community Recovery Workshop - Ladies Health Day

Women’s health will be the focus of the latest community initiative as the Tingha township and surrounds recovers from the Tingha Plateau bushfire.

A dietician, diabetes expert and other health care officials will be on hand at the Tingha Ladies Health Day, being held at Tingha Town Hall tomorrow at 10am – 2pm.

Everyone is welcome to attend the event, being held by HealthWISE and the NSW Government.

Morning tea and lunch is provided and RSVPs are requested by phoning Chris Connor (6721 4117) or Geraldine Campbell (0427 406370).


Advice for rural landholders 

Landholders impacted by this month’s Tingha Plateau fire can gain information and possible assistance when a representative of the Department of Primary Industries visits the fire recovery centre in Tingha tomorrow.

A Rural Support Worker from the department’s Rural Resilience Program, Brian Sherwood, will be at the recovery centre from 10am to 4pm to meet with landholders and identify opportunities for help.

Landholders can also get information from the department’s website at www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-and-emergencies/droughthub and the Rural Assistance Authority site, www.raa.nsw.gov.au

Disaster Welfare Services, Local Land Services, Council and Rural Mental Health Services officers are providing assistance at the recovery centre, located at the Tingha Sports and Recreation Club. 

Mental health

Bush fires are distressing and people can feel sadness, sleep disturbance, or anxiety. This is a normal reaction and it is not a sign of weakness.

Kids in particular can be impacted by the uncertainty, confusion and fear around them. Try to create a sense of calm and let them know that there is someone there to take care of them.

If you are struggling there are people you can talk to, like your local GP or health care provider.

You can also contact any of the following free services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

Mental Health Line 1800 051 511
Lifeline 13 11 14
MensLine 1300 789 978
Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
Beyondblue 1300 22 4636
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger please call 000.

Are you insured?

If you are insured, you should talk to your insurance company as soon as possible about how to make a claim. If you have clearance, you can start cleaning up immediately but first take pictures or video of any damage to your property and possessions as evidence for your claim.

The Insurance Council of Australia can be contacted with any questions, complaints or concerns about your insurance on 1800 734 621

If you are not insured and have limited income, you may be eligible for a disaster relief grant:

Disaster Relief Grants for Individuals

Disaster relief grants are for eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household contents have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster.

To be eligible for this assistance you must:

  • be a low-income earner and meet an income assets test
  • demonstrate that the affected home is your principal place of residence
  • not be covered by insurance
  • demonstrate that the damage was caused by the disaster
  • lodge the application within four months of the disaster occurring

Applying for a disaster relief grant:

To apply for financial assistance call Disaster Welfare Services on 1800 018 444.

Disaster Relief for Farmers

A range of assistance measures are available to eligible farmers and primary producers impacted by fire, including:

  • Concessional fixed-rate loans up to $130,000
  • Transport subsidies for the carriage of livestock, fodder and water

For more information contact:
NSW Rural Assistance Authority 1800 678 593



Housing Assistance

Family & Community Services (FACS) can assist by providing temporary accommodation for up to 28 nights while impacted residents seek alternative longer-term arrangements. FACS can also provide financial assistance through a repayable bond loan and a non-repayable advanced rent of two week. All fire affected residents are eligible for this assistance.

Call FACS Housing 1800 422 322

Animal Welfare

Local Land Services has been assisting with emergency fodder, stock water and medical assistance for animals impacted by the fire.

Landholders are encouraged to call the Agriculture and Animal Hotline to request assistance or report any stock losses.

Animal & Agriculture Hotline 1800 814 647

Legal Assistance

Legal Aid NSW helps people with their legal problems. Legal Aid NSW lawyers can provide free legal advice and minor assistance to people affected by disasters on a range of issues including insurance, tenancy and credit and debt problems.

Legal Aid NSW: 1800 801 529 www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au

NSW Rural Fire Service - Community Information

The NSW RFS drops fire suppressant retardants from aircraft during firefighting operations to help slow the spread of a fire. Foams can also be applied by firefighters in controlling and containing a fire, and this helps to protect properties. This fact sheet (PDF 211.7KB) contains information about what to do if these suppressants have been used on your property. 



Australian Red Cross have provided online resources to assist with disaster recovery.

The Psychological First Aid guide is also a useful tool.