Drought Relief

The drought conditions currently being experienced across the New England North West region, NSW and Queensland are placing extreme financial and emotional strain on our farmers and regional communities.

Below is a list of contact points for support services and assistance that community members can access. 

Drought Community Support Initiative

The Salvation Army is delivering assistance through the Australian Government’s Drought Community Support Initiative. The second round of this assistance began on 21 November 2019.
Farmers, farm workers, farm suppliers or farm contractors doing it tough because of the drought may be eligible for a one-off payment of up to $3,000. 

For rural financial counselling Armidale

Deborah Maddox
Phone: 02 6778 4784
Mobile: 0408 936 268
Fax: 02 6778 4101
Email: armidale@rfcsnr.org.au


Julie Roy
Phone: 02 6761 3336
Mobile: 0427 924 798
Fax: 02 6766 1153
Email: tamworth@rfcsnr.org.au

St Vincent De Paul  

Call: 02 5776 0200 to register

Rotary Australia

You can speak with your local Rotary Club RAWCS representative or call Reg Pierce 0417 472 723 for more information.


24/7 National Crisis Support Services

Lifeline - Ph: 131114

Mens Line Australia - Ph: 1300 789 978

Beyond Blue - Ph: 1300 224 636

CWA of NSW Drought Aid grants

Contact information: drought@cwaofnsw.org.au or 02 8337 0210

For further information go to the CWA of NSW website

NSW Government - Drought Hub

The NSW Government has announced a $500 million Emergency Drought Relief Package to help farmers manage the effects of the current drought.

The three major elements of the $500 million Emergency Drought Relief Package are:

$190 million for Drought Transport Subsidies;

$100 million to cut the cost of farming by waiving fees and charges; and,

$150 million to bolster the Farm Innovation Fund (FIF) infrastructure program.

The package also includes funding for:

Counselling and mental health;

Critical services in regional communities including transporting water and drought related road upgrades and repairs; and,

Animal welfare and stock disposal.

NSW DroughtHub provides a one-stop online destination for information on a vast range of services and support available to primary producers, their families and communities to prepare for and manage drought. Drought Hub also supports pre-existing Drought Relief Packages or the Emergency Drought Relief Package.

Justine Clark

Farmgate Support Program Peer Worker

Northern Tablelands

0428 140 988



Rural Adversity Mental Health Program

Name: Andrew Daley

Position: Coordinator

Service Organisation Name: Rural Adversity Mental Health Program

Brief overview of your service – What support do you provide?

The Rural Adversity Mental Health Program (RAMHP) is a major project of the Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health (CRRMH). RAMHP has 20 Coordinators based across regional, rural and remote NSW who inform, educate and connect individuals, communities and workplaces with appropriate local services and programs. We link people to local mental health services and resources, we educate workplaces and communities about mental health and wellbeing and we respond in times of natural disasters and severe adversity.

Phone number: 0428 109 990

Email address: andrew.daley@health.nsw.gov.au

Website: ramhp.com.au

Drought Transport Subsidies

The NSW Government will offer a transport subsidy of up to $20,000 per eligible farm business. The transport subsidy of $20,000 per eligible farm business per year equates up to $30,000 over 18 months from 1 January 2018 to 30 June 2019. The subsidy is back-dated so farmers can apply it for freight expenses incurred since 1 January 2018. It covers 50% of the full cost of freight up to a maximum of $5 per kilometre and 1,500 kilometres per journey. The subsidy can be applied for the cost of transporting fodder, water to a property for stock, stock to and from agistment, and stock to sale or slaughter. The subsidy will be back-dated so farmers can access subsidies for freight expenses incurred since 1 January 2018.

Applications available online or visit the NSW Department of Primary Industries Rural Assistance Authority for more information.


The Farm Household Allowance scheme remains available, paying eligible farmers the equivalent of the Newstart allowance. This scheme is available for farmers who have net assets of less than $5 million. The estimated value of any owner’s residence is excluded from this valuation. Centrelink historically have not requested a formal valuation, and have accepted the farmer’s estimate of what the drought affected price may be.

The term of the payment is 3 years, or until the farm has returned to profitability. If you have previously applied for the payment and exhausted your 3 year time limit, the government has allowed you to apply for a 4th year.

The recent announcement by the Government is for two lump sum supplementary payments of up to a total of $16,000 to families and individuals who are currently receiving the Farm Household Allowance.

Ph: 132 316



Help is available for drought-effected taxpayers across regional areas to manage their tax.

The ATO is allowing:

More time to pay

Waiving penalties or interest charged at a time the person has been drought effected

Payment plans with interest free periods

Adjusting PAYG instalments to better suit the person’s circumstances which may help those who have had to make forced cattle sales

Tax incentives for primary producers

The ATO advises to still lodge activity statements and tax returns by the due date even if they can’t be paid.

The ATO will prioritise paying any income tax or activity statement refunds due to a drought affected person and in some instances they will release the person from paying some taxes if paying the taxes would cause serious financial hardship.

It’s worth keeping in mind that the ATO also offers immediate tax deductions for primary producers for new fencing infrastructure and accelerated depreciation is available for new fodder storage and on-farm water storage facilities.


Charity Funded Drought Assistance

Buy a Bale 

You will need to register first and then you will need to scan and upload copies of unpaid bills. This service is a once off value up to $1500.

You will need to scan and upload a copy of your driver’s licence and your primary producer declaration.

www.buyabale.com.au – register and submit bills online

Aussie Helpers

www.aussiehelpers.org.au – register online or phone 1300665232

Need for Feed

To register online you will need to have your PIC number. Once you submit your registration you will received a phone call within two weeks.

www.needforfeed.org – register online

Drought Angels

To register online you will need to have your PIC number, Lot and DP number of your property of properties, ABN, number of stock (cattle, sheep, goats, dogs, horses).  Once you submit your registration you will then receive an email notifying you that someone from Drought Angels will ring you.

www.droughtangels.org.au – register online (no hay or stock feed, house paddock support only)


  • Copies of all bills to be submitted
  • Driver’s Licence               
  • Primary Producer Declaration
  • PIC Number
  • Lot and DP number of property or properties
  • Total number of acres of each property
  • ABN
  • Total number of stock (cattle, sheep, goats, dogs and horses)
  • Bank account details – Account name, BSB, and account number